Incoming Freshmen Housing
Each year we welcome around 5,000 new freshmen to the on-campus community at Virginia Tech. We look forward to seeing you during the summer orientation sessions and when you move into your residence hall in August. All incoming freshmen are guaranteed, and required to live in, on-campus housing for their freshmen year; however, students must complete their housing/dining contract to be assigned a space. Certain conditions may allow a student to live off-campus if an exception is granted - see below for details.
Assignments for incoming freshmen and transfers are made in contract receipt order, so the earlier your contract arrives, the earlier you are assigned in the process. Also, each year, we expect a limited number of freshmen students to be placed in temporary (overflow) housing during the start of the fall semester. We assign temporary housing to those at the end of the contract receipt list.
As noted in the admissions offer packet brochure, students who do not complete their contract may have their admissions blocked to the University after June 1.
Steps to Complete Your Housing/Dining Contract
Step 1. After you accept the admission offer, you can go online to the Hokie SPA website to create a PID and password. Instructions are included on the Hokie SPA website about creating your PID and password.
Step 2. Before you complete your Housing/Dining Contract, please read the Terms and Conditions of the Housing/Dining Contract online. Although the terms and conditions will remain available throughout the year for your reference, you may wish to print and retain this information for your convenience. It is your responsibility to read and understand the terms and conditions of the Housing/Dining Contract before returning it to the University.
Step 3. After you have activated a PID, complete and electronically sign your Housing/Dining Contract by following these steps:
- Log into the Hokie SPA website using your University PID and password.
- Click on the "Hokie SPA" menu choice.
- Select "Housing and Dining Services" from the menu choices displayed.
- Select "Complete the Housing/Dining Contract"
- Your Housing/Dining Contract questions will be displayed. You will need your preferred roommate's name and ID number to request a specific roommate for the upcoming year, if applicable. Please note, we do not accept suitemate requests.
Awaiting A Specific Roommate's Acceptance?
Please do not wait to complete your contract in anticipation of a roommate being accepted to the University. You can complete your contract now with your name and student ID number as well as your friend's name/ID number to add as a preferred roommate. If your friend has not been accepted or does not yet have a student ID/application ID number, make sure to update your contract preferences by contacting Housing and Residence Life at email@example.com once you know your preferred roommate has been accepted. We only consider mutual roommate requests.
- Complete the questions and click on the button at the bottom of the page to review your entries. If your information is correct, click the agreement boxes at the bottom of the page and then click the submit button at the bottom of the page to "electronically sign" your Housing/Dining Contract. (Note: students who do not plan to return home or travel during Thanksgiving, Winter, or Spring breaks may ask about the 10-month housing preference that includes buildings that remain open during academic breaks)
- Print and retain a copy of the confirmation page showing that you have successfully submitted your housing contract online. The page will show the date and time you completed the online Housing/Dining Contract.
- You do not need to return anything to our office if you electronically sign your contract. The matriculation fee paid when accepting admissions to the University includes the housing prepayment noted in the Terms and Conditions of the Housing/Dining Contract.
Selecting a Dining Plan
Students are automatically assigned a Major Flex dining plan as an on-campus resident. Starting June 1, students may choose to upgrade their dining plan on the Hokie SPA website by selecting "Housing and Dining Services" from the menu choices and then "Add/Change Dining Plan." Changes are accepted until the day before dining plans start for the fall semester. If you don't want to upgrade your dining plan, you don't need to take any action.
Receiving Your Housing/Dining Contract in Print
Contact Housing and Residence Life at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a paper version of your on-campus student housing offer. Please be sure to include your name, ID number, and preferred mailing address. We will send this out as soon as possible. You will then complete and return the paper copy directly the housing office. We can send you an Adobe PDF version of the contract or mail you a printed copy.
You may also request a copy by stopping by our office during weekday office hours or by phoning us directly. We cannot offer a housing/dining contract until you are admitted to and have accepted the offer of admission to the University.
Freshman Residency Requirement / Exception to Live Off-campus
All incoming freshmen at Virginia Tech are required to live on campus during their first year unless they are given express permission under the following guidelines:
- Reside with their parents or close relatives who are established residents of the community;
- Are married and live with their spouses;
- Are military veterans of at least six months active duty; or
- Are at least 21 years old.
If you believe you qualify under one of these exceptions, please notify the Office of Housing and Residence by e-mail or the address/fax below. Otherwise, complete your Housing/Dining Contract for on-campus housing.