Steps in resigning/withdrawing from the university for on-campus residents
- Obtain the Student Resignation/Withdrawal form from your academic dean or from the University Registrar. Information on the resignation process is available on the registrar's website.
- Obtain the appropriate academic office signatures on form (cadets must also obtain the commandant's signature). Housing and Residence Life will not sign any resignation forms that do not have the required prerequisiste signatures.
- Remove your belongings from the room and clean the room thouroughly.
- Check out of the room with any resident advisor (R.A.) staff member from your building, using the room condition form on file.
- If you are leaving during office hours (8 a.m to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday): Take your student resignation/withdrawal form to your area office or to the housing office (located in New Hall West). If you have checked out of your room, we will sign your student resignation/withdrawal form. Return this form to the University Registrar.
- If you are leaving after hours or during weekends: Give your signed and completed room condition form, keys, and student resignation/withdrawal form to a R.A. staff member from your building. The R.A. will bring the form to the area housing office. If everything is satisfactory, the area office will sign the student resignation/withdrawal form and forward it to the University Registrar via campus mail. These materials are time-sensitive. To be sure that all paperwork reaches its destination in a timely manner, you should arrange to check out during regular office hours and personally deliver the materials to our office and to the University Registrar. Housing and Residence Life assumes no responsibility for lost or delayed student resignation/withdrawal forms.
- Student resignation/withdrawal forms are not typically signed unless you have checked out of your room. Exceptions may be granted under limited circumstances by the housing office. If you have not fulfilled all check-out requirements, you will be responsible for any ensuing fees and/or penalties associated with your actions.
- Refunds are processed according to the actual day of check-out. Refunds, unless any outstanding charges are owed to the university, are processed through the Office of the Bursar and follow the university's refund schedule. Questions about refunds, such as the mailing address that will be used or if direct deposit is available, should be directed to Student Accounts.
Room Cleanliness/Check-out Expectations
Residents are expected to leave their rooms in as good or better shape than they found them. Students leaving during the semester should depart their room having prepared the room for the arrival of a future occupant. Any damages to the room should be noted to the R.A. staff. All personal effects must be removed from university property. Failure to do so will result in additional per diem fees and/or charges for item removal/disposal. Housing and Residence Life will not be responsible for abandoned personal property. The R.A. staff will complete a room condition form with the student for regular check-outs or complete the same form afterwards for express check-outs. Please meet with the R.A. to discuss your departure and expectations in advance of your planned departure.
Housing and Dining Refunds due to Withdrawal
Students holding a residence hall contract who leave the university during the first week of class will forfeit $100 of their residence hall fee. Thereafter, the semester room charge, less than $100, will be refunded over the first six weeks of the semester. If you withdraw after the beginning of the seventh week of the semester you will be charged the full room rate.
Residents called to active U.S. military duty are provided a full refund after following the university guidelines for military resignations.
All refunds will be calculated from the official room check-out
date, which may not necessarily be the last day you attend class or
officially resign from the university. No refund will be granted for a
retroactive resignation that occurred in a previous fiscal year.
Students who purchase a declining balance (Flex) dining plan will be charged a forfeiture fee of $100 during the first week. Beginning in week two and throughout the remainder of the semester, students will forfeit the base cost and will be refunded any unused dollars in the declining balance account (remaining Flex Dollars).
Unused dining dollar deposits will be refunded in total for dining plan holders. Students who have only a dining dollars account and not a dining plan will receive the balance of all cash deposits minus $15. Questions concerning adjustments to room charges should be directed to Housing and Residence Life at 540- 231-6205. Questions concerning adjustments to dining plan charges should be directed to the Hokie Passport Office at 540- 231-5121.
Students Resigning in the Spring after entering the Fall Housing Application Process
Important information for students who have entered the housing application process for the upcoming academic year:
- If you resign after entering your student ID number in the housing application process, but before the contract offering, you will not be eligible for a contract offer in the spring semester (because you will not be an actively-enrolled student at the university). Your ID number will be automatically removed from the random number program, and you will not be assigned a priority number, or offered a contract in the spring. If you are interested in living on campus next year, you may add your name to the waiting list. Priority for contract offers and for room assignment of those on the waiting list is lower than that of students in the regular housing application process.
- If you resign after returning a housing/dining contract for the upcoming academic year (except for official medical resignations), your contract is voided. Your priority number is likewise nullified. You may enter your name on the waiting list for housing, as outlined above. Please note that offers to the waiting list are not guaranteed. In recent years, we have offered few contracts to those on the waiting list.