Each year we welcome around 6,000 first-year students to the on-campus community at Virginia Tech. We look forward to seeing you during the summer orientation sessions and when you move into your residence hall in August. All incoming first-year students are guaranteed, and required to live in, on-campus housing for their first year; however, students must complete their housing/dining contract to be assigned a space. Certain conditions may allow a student to live off-campus if an exception is granted - see below for details.

Assignments for incoming first-year students and transfers are made in contract receipt order, so the earlier your contract arrives, the earlier you are assigned in the process. Also, each year, we expect a limited number of first-year students to be placed in temporary (overflow) housing during the start of the fall semester. We assign temporary housing to those at the end of the contract receipt list.

As noted in the admissions offer packet brochure, students who do not complete their contract may have their admissions blocked to the University after June 1.

Freshman Residency Requirement / Exception to Live Off-campus

All incoming first-year students at Virginia Tech are required to live on campus during their first year unless they are given express permission under the following guidelines:

  • Reside with their parents or close relatives who are established residents of the community;
  • Are married and live with their spouses;
  • Are military veterans of at least six months active duty; or
  • Are at least 21 years old.

If you believe you qualify under one of these exceptions, please notify the Office of Housing and Residence by emailing housing@vt.edu or the address/fax below. Otherwise, complete your Housing/Dining Contract for on-campus housing.

Steps to Complete Your Housing/Dining Contract

Step 1. After you accept the admission offer, you can go online to the Hokie SPA website to create a PID and password. Instructions are included on the Hokie SPA website about creating your PID and password.

Step 2. Before you complete your Housing/Dining Contract, please read the of the Housing/Dining Contract online. Although the terms and conditions will remain available throughout the year for your reference, you may wish to print and retain this information for your convenience. It is your responsibility to read and understand the terms and conditions of the Housing/Dining Contract before returning it to the University.

Step 3. After you have activated a PID, complete and electronically sign your Housing/Dining Contract by following these steps:

  1. Log into the StarRez Portal using your University PID and password.
  2. Click on the "Housing and Dining Contracts" menu choice.
  3. Select the academic year from the menu choices displayed.
  4. Your Housing/Dining Contract questions will be displayed. 

    Awaiting A Specific Roommate's Acceptance?
    Please do not wait to complete your contract in anticipation of a roommate being accepted to the University. You can complete your contract now with your name and student ID number as well as your friend's name/ID number to add as a preferred roommate. If your friend has not been accepted or does not yet have a student ID/application ID number, make sure to update your contract preferences by contacting Housing and Residence Life at housing@vt.edu once you know your preferred roommate has been accepted. We only consider mutual roommate requests.
  5. You do not need to return anything to our office if you electronically sign your contract. The matriculation fee paid when accepting admissions to the University includes the housing prepayment noted in the of the Housing/Dining Contract.

Selecting a Dining Plan

You will select your dining plan when completing your housing contract. You may change your dining plan preference throughout the summer, but final changes must be made before the fall move-in date.

Receiving Your Housing/Dining Contract in Print

Contact Housing and Residence Life at housing@vt.edu to request a paper version of your on-campus student housing offer. Please be sure to include your name, ID number, and preferred mailing address. We will send this out as soon as possible. You will then complete and return the paper copy directly the housing office. We can send you an Adobe PDF version of the contract or mail you a printed copy.

You may also request a copy by stopping by our office during weekday office hours or by phoning us directly. We cannot offer a housing/dining contract until you are admitted to and have accepted the offer of admission to the University.